Thursday 14 June 2012

Review: Clinique Superbalanced Foundation

This is one of the first high-end foundation that I tried, despite being a MAC-fan I end up trying Clinique foundation first prior to MAC ones. 

The day I purchased this I actually went to the Clinique counter after Chanel's and manage to obtain a generous sample of Chanel Mat Lumiere, so I was hoping to get some from Clinique as well. When I got to the counter I asked for something medium to full coverage, so she recommend the anti-blemish one, but I would not want that since my face is quite dry so I thought that it might be too drying. So I asked about Superbalanced Makeup and she said that it's up to medium coverage, and I still want to try that. They don't have free samples to be given but for some reason I endup buying it straight away *thank god that they give me a free sample of High Impact Mascara, a generous 4g tube* It was quite an impulsive purchase.  When I went for a colour match, it seems fine and I don't know how, after a few days I just realized that it's too dark to my liking. Now that's the sad story behind this, other than that it is actually a really good foundation.


Clinique Superbalanced Makeup #14 Wheat 

From the website:-
"The great equaliser for combination skin. Provides moisture and absorbs oil where needed. Minimises appearance of fine lines.Helps protect skin from environmental damage. Contains anti-irritants and antioxidants. Water resistant. Non-acnegenic and oil-free. Ophthalmologist tested."


From the description it sounds like lovely foundation.
This foundation definitely help me during last summer when I got the dry skin issue, it's really moisturizing. So plus point for dry skin. The finish is definitely not matte, it gives slight dewiness due to its moisturizing effect. Although it does not make you shine as well probably due to its oil control features *something that act like a sponge that soak up the excess sebum I think it said on the packaging*, so definitely great choice for those with combination skin (eg. dry cheeks+oily T-zone)
 I find the finish it gave is definitely what most people would prefer, not too flat matte and not too dewy luminous shiny.  
I really like the finish and the feel of this foundation on my face, I feel less congested and much lighter.

Clinique Superbalanced Makeup in #14 Wheat - left: without flash, right: with flash

After blended into the skin - left: with direct flash, right: without flash
When I use this foundation I usually compare it to my Revlon Colorstay. Eventhough it is said to have medium coverage but it's actually quite thick *thicker than Revlon Colostay*, and I would say the 'medium' coverage it gave is very decent and buildable. I really enjoy the slightly thick formulation and it's very easy to work with, I never endup looking cakey. 

 This foundation has no fragrance which is new for me because the Revlon Colorstay really have a strong smell. After a while I got used to this fragrance-free foundation that when I reach for Revlon Colorstay I got taken by a bit surprise due to the strong scent. So people who got turnoff by cosmetics scent will definitely enjoy this odourless foundation.
I also like that it contains anti-irritants and anti-oxidant as well non-acnegenic and oil-free, which is very very good for the skin. I was really attracted that it is like a skincare foundation and protect skin from environmental damage.  I don't think I ever got breakouts from this *nonetheless my skin issue at the early times I purchase this is dry so I was acne-free*.

Despite all that good stuff, I didn't notice that it would minimise fine lines appearance probably because I don't really pay attention to that, as well as the water-resistant features that it claims. 

The thing that bothers me is definitely the packaging, the NO-PUMP bottle. Why why Clinique??? Why don't you provide a pump?  It is more annoying when this foundation is quite thick so it doesn't flow out that easily and it is a bother to pour it out from the bottle... haishhh...
Also I am quite disappointed with the colour match I got, Wheat #14 is so much darker... if this foundation match into my skin this would have been my everyday foundation. 

It is a hassle to lighten up the shade through mixing. I should have realize it sooner and took it back to the counter...Never  mind that sad story, I still use this foundation by lightening it. I mix it with my too light MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer in NC30 or the Revlon PhotoReady Makeup in Vanilla which I bought just for the this reason *lighten up the darker Superbalanced Makeup* and get it match to my liking. Although process of mixing is easier*less hassle* for the two foundation compare to the foundation with a cream concealer, I really prefer the Clinique Superbalanced+MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer combination. It felt more comfortable, the colour match better and easier. Other than that as well it upgrade it's coverage since the concealer is a high-coverage itself and most of the time I forgo the spot concealing process. 

The price of this is £21.50 for a 30ml bottle which is pretty much a standard price for a high-end foundation.
Overall rating : 4 out of 5
(point deducted due to the bottle as well because I couldn't enjoy this due to bad colour-match)

I really like this foundation and would love to repurchase it in my shade, but I'm not sure yet since I'm interested to try Clinique Even Better Makeup foundation, and I still not sure when since I do have a number of foundations now. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment