Saturday 31 December 2011

60's inspired makeup ~ think Twiggy and Edie Sedgwick

So it will be new year in a few hours, but let just save that for the next blog post.

suddenly last night I got the urge to do a makeup how to blog post. I don't know how and why but I suddenly look into the 60's look. When you talk about the 60's look, the major icon we look up to is Twiggy and Edie Sedgwick. In 60's, focus are the eyes, so we see a black line drawn into the crease, thick brows and thick mascara especially on the bottom.

"update: Ok I messed this makeup a bit, so I did an updated blogpost on this makeup , check it"

note: these pics *of Twiggy and Edie I downloaded from the internet for a while so I can't remember which site exactly it is taken from to credit them, if anyone want to credit, you can contact me nur_farhana26@yahoo.com



Twiggy


Edie Sedgwick



Other than the two ladies, I am also inspired by the Christina Ricci on Nylon Cover which is almost 60's style makeup *Ricci is playing a 60's character in Pan Am*



Christina Ricci - Nylon Magazine

and a video by Nylon Korea - 60's Retro Makeup which feature many look, but I am more inspired by the 'Like Twiggy' which is at the end of the videos.

Okay I used the last bit of the Chanel Lift Lumiere foundation sample I had in #60 and then I conceal the eyes first, using the MAC Studio Sculpt. I set the eyes first with MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium Dark and went straight for the eye makeup.

EYES:

- MAC Paint pot in Painterly all over the lids up to the eyebrows and lower lashline
- Revlon Matte eyeshadow in Peach Sorbet all over top and bottom lid
- Rimmel eyeliner in White on the waterline
*I just got the Fearne Cotton Eyeliner in Nude which is as off-white colour, and that will look more less harsh on me, but I hate it was too chunky that it's hard to draw into my waterline, I tried but the result is dissapointing, so I use the White back.
OH PLEASE MAKEUP INDUSTRIES!!! make more off-white eye liner pleaseeeeee!!

- Highlight the waterline and inner corner of the eyes with vanilla shimmery eyeshadows (L'oreal Penelope Cruz Quads. The colour on the inner corner I blend toward the upper lid to gives a bit of shimmer
(for waterline I use MAC 231 brush, the inner corner just a dense eyeshadow applicatior brush from Bodyshop)




Okay, for the highlight on the inner corner, just dab intensely on large are, not just a small 'v section just dab a lot. Now your eyes is very-very bright.

-Dark brown colour on crease
For the crease, I'm not good at it and not having a defined crease makes it harder.
I used MAC 239 brush dab into matte dark brown colour #MAC Showstopper and slowly on the crease following the brow bone until almost the inner corner, but stop! Extend a bit toward the the side of the nose and give a large space for the inner corner highlight *like Ricci's makeup for Nylon*
On the outer corner I did not meet the outer corner of the eyes and just extend and blend outward.
Blend the crease line UPWARD never downward

*don't mess with the brights on the lids*
I define it more using a dark brown pencil and when it become to harsh again blend it upward.
I used blending brush dip with light colour I used on the lids smoke the upper edge of the shadows upward toward the browbone.

So Twiggy and Edie they used black pencil, but I used brown to make it more soft and modern.
The effect is not overwhelming on me due to my eye shape that lack of defined crease.

At some angle it will look awkward because of the 'line' drawn on the lid, but it doesn't bother me and what matters is when you look up front straight and it looks fine.

-line the top and bottom lashline with brown pencil but just 3/4 from the outer corner
*keep away from the inner corner*. The line will be under the highlighted waterline.
- MAC Fluidline in Blitz and Glitz on top of lasline, but not too thick and start from 1/4 away from from inner corner (where lashes start to thickens) to the outer corner with slight flick.


I follow one Twiggy style which is to draw on the bottom lashes.
- Black eye pencil in small strokes from the lashline downward.



Twiggy - drew on bottom lashes

Okay I didn't draw much actually and I already line the bottom eyelid so the drew on bottom lashes is not so clear. Like on Twiggy the bottom of the eyes is bare so it is more clear.

- curl lashes and black mascara. CLUMP-UP the BOTTOM lashes.
For modern 60's trend you can try false lashes on the bottom.
*I don't have falsies because I don't wear them.



-brows defined with brow pencil



So with draw on bottom lashes and clumpy bottom lashes it will give heaviness and thickness on the bottom lashline compare to the upper one and it almost give a 'droopy effect' on the eyes.
But it's not bad, I'm not bother by it *probably since I do have naturally droopy eyes*,
but I think it looks interesting and I think because we have a high crease and brights on the upper lids it does provides some 'lifting effect' to the eyes

- conceal on the rest of the face with MAC Studio Sculpt NC35, set with MAC Mineralize
Skinfinish Natural.

-Contour the low light with MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Deep Dark using fan brush, on


hollow of the cheeks, under jawline, side of nose.
- highlight cheekbone and nosebridge with MAC cream colour base in Pearl and top it with Bodyshop highlighter *which I forgot what was it?? huhu, this highlighter is almost like MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Gold Deposit, more bronzy.*
- Blush using MAC Bronzing powder in Bronze * I don't want to use blush for this*
- on lips, define with MAC Lipliner in Spice and MAC lipstick in Alibi.
So there's no pink lips or cheeks on this look.




So other than the Nylon Korea video I mention before, you can watch other videos like from Pixiwoo,
Sam did the Edie Sedgwick,
Nic did the Twiggy look,
Pixi2woo Tanya does the 60's look as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment