Thursday 24 May 2012

Spring Summer Trip and Conquest of Europe, Kelana Convoy 4: Frankfurt, Fussen, Innsbruck

I manage to dig up old pamphlet as well old notes of last year trip. So hopefully I manage to get this trip series done especially before my Seoul trip this July. Hehe, so the journey continued, I still got to finish blogging about this trip I had, I just felt it's a shame to let it pass just like that. 

This post would be on Germany and Austria.
 After we left Netherland we head to Frankfurt, Germany. To be honest, nothing much to do Frankfurt, just look around.
Frankfurt is definitely a modern city however it changes when we reach Romerberg.
European Central Bank - Frankfurt
I believe we were hanging around the Römerberg, old central square in Frankfurt Alstadt(Old Town).
This was important in the old days I believe. 
Römerberg-
Ostzeile *the 2nd buliding on left with white and brown finish, two large triangle with smaller in between*

Alte Nikolaikirche * the first building on right, with pillar* - gothic church

I remember I just walk around and take a look at stuff, I remember I walk until cross the Main River for a while, but nothing much there. I guess the rain quite kill mood and everybody was busy looking for souvenirs which I wasn't.
Römer- City Hall
I walk and walk and reach here... but I didn't take a closer look... I was too lazy, and it was raining.
Frankfurt Cathedral: Dom St. Bartholomäus
Again I can't remember the name of the campsite, but I remember I really liked it. I remember it was raining that night, we were eating 'nasi lemak' in the rain, what a nice night, comfort food in the cold rainy night.

The next day we went to Fussen, to visit the ever so popular Neuchawanstein Castle *wiki*, 19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen. This castle is believed to be the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle, so that's nice I guess. 
Again for some reason I did not take any pictures....Hmmm ... I don't know ... maybe it was scorching hot that I was too busy queing up to get ice-cream instead of taking pictures.... and not to forget we had to hike up the hills to get to the castle *well they got horse carriage service but I'm trying to save money*. I say even from afar the castle look marvelous and even the the environment view *minus the heat* is really nice.  Well to be honest I didn't really explore the castle and I didn't walk up to the spot where you take picture of the castle as your background. which is nice... but I was just not in the mood?? haha!

But what I love most about this place is LAKE SCHWANSEE. It's very cooling and calming on that hot day just to sit around the lake and rest. The water is so cool and it does feel great and 'homey' in a way when we dip our toes in the water. 

Lake Schwansee - Lovely isn't it! I say one of the best picture I take
Other than a great place for a picnic, there's also canoeing service for the lake, and that lake is really wide, I don't think there will ever be a time where you feel the lake is so crowded. And if you're more 'daring' just go for a swim, or 'skinny dippin' , hehe jokes... *seriously don't, awkward for other tourist there*

So I enjoyed the cooling toe-dipping rest I had at Fussen and it's next destination to Austria.

What is great about this trip is that when you're in a convoy, you might think the road journey is too long, I mean what do you expect we cross one country border to another, but what's great is that the VIEW is really magnificent
My parent's hometown is in Seri Menanti and we have to go through Bukit Putus all the time which I find nice, sometime nauseating *because we keep turning* and sometime even creepy *at night where I thought of some supernatural stuff*, this is journey is like that but times 50 or even hundred... You really get that OVERWHELMED feeling.

Then we arrived at Innsbruck, Austria
So Austria, think of Vienna *classic music capital though unfortunately not included in this trip*, apple strudels and their famous people:-
Marie Antoinette (the Archduchess of Austria who became Dauphine and the Queen of France) - quite the tragic her life is *I watched Kristen Dunst Marie Antoinette as well some documentary on her
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (composer) - Try his Lacrimosa for his Requiem Mass 
 Sigmund Freud (father of psychoanalysis) - he's famous for analysing dream and  the psychosexual 
 Arnold Schwarzenegger *actor*- the ever so famous Terminator

Alright back to Innsbruck.
So we walk around the alstadt, 'old town' after visiting Swarovski crystal shop  and nope nothing amaze me there.
 I visit the famous Goldenes Dachl, 'golden roof' and not sure what exactly it was before but it is museum now with all the history of Tyrol sovereigns *I remember I read tyrolean stuff there, though absolutely no memories of it anymore now* 


Walking along Alstadt (old town) toward The Golden Roof- straight front

Midtown Innsbruck
Tower with the 'green top' - Hofkirche (Court Church)

As I walk along following the others who's looking for souvenirs, I noticed the nice big building which is actually the Imperial Palace or Hofburg.
Hofburg entrance .. or exit? can't remember haha! 
Well we just got to the lobby  by entering from the 'back'... and the inside is definitely amazing... I mean what do you expect right.  Lot's of artwork showcase and I took a pamphlet with me and when I look into it, not to over sell it and said it so amazing and what not... it's just that sometimes I enjoy feasting my eyes with these 'artsy royal stuff'... in malay, 'cuci mata'.
Dom zu St. Jakob
 (St. James's Cathedral although often wrongly called St Jacob's Cathedral)
After a while of walking and looking around as well as getting my taste of Austrian's famous apple strudels, we gather back again around Renneweg, we went to the ski jump ramp/stadium, Bergiselschanze that was famous for Winter Olympics. Nothing much there especially during summer. 

So we hop into the coach again for the next destination, Italy! To be precise, Venice.

I am actually quite excited for the next post because I really enjoyed Venice and Florence. It is quite unexpected but actually I do enjoy a bit looking up for infos on the places I visit to put into these blog post. So I really hope this post is helpful for people and that they got a bit of idea on this trip, either on the places or the Kelana Convoy service that I joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment