Tuesday 25 May 2010

Continued BASE makeup: Foundation

Liquid Foundation
This is the winner for me. It’s perfect for me. There are varieties of liquid foundation out there, moisturizing, oil free, gel-base, and some contain light reflective particles and many more. We just have to find one that is more suitable for us. This is the type that I most experiment with different brands. Some liquid foundation gives natural to medium coverage, some medium to full coverage. If you think you want that really clear skin without even a dot, probably you are more tempted to get the medium to full coverage, but if you don’t like being heavy you might prefer the natural to medium coverage. For me, I use medium to full, since it provide the best coverage(remember, I have a lot of acne and acne scars). Usually, I’m not sure if this true but usually natural to medium coverage liquid foundation is stored in tubes and medium to full coverage one are in bottles. I wanted to try Maybelline one, but too bad it does not have shades that match my skintone. It is actually very hard to find drugstore foundation that match my tanned Malay skintone. Usually, salers may said it is the closest shade to your skintone, but actually it’s far(miles away) and end up making dark/tan skin look ashy... that is very unnatural and UNATTRACTIVE...
Thankfully, there are brands that care and give wider colour range. I tried the L’oreal Paris True Match, RM 52.90, and actually it does have shade that match my skintone.
It totally gives difference to my complexion, it is more even and brighten. But somehow, I bought a shade that quite darker than my skin, and I’m not into tanning... I’m already tan, how much more tan I want to be... And the shade that I buy contain a gold particles, which actually provide that radiance... but I was not into that... sorry... So that is why I take this chance to try other brand... But True Match is very good, so I recommend that. So, I tried Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation, RM35? (I’m not sure the exact price). Why this? It is much cheaper and Kate Moss was the model for this... (hehe, I know irrelevant reason)... whatever it is I believe this can save money, but I guess I was unlucky, this product does not suit me. The darkest shade still make me look ashy. When I search for its review it is almost 50% say it’s good another 50% says otherwise. And I not sure, if this was the cause, but it gives me breakouts... and make me itch and the fragrance is uncomfortable for me. So I ditch this one (in anger.... GRRRR... ). But it might be a different story for other people... If it is unsuitable on skin and does not match, ditch it, but don’t give up on makeup and NEVER, I say NEVER GENERALIZE and SAY MAKEUP IS BAD.... I believe only people who had tried more than 20 brands have the right to say that... of all the people, the one that only had like ONE or TWO products, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO SAY THAT MAKEUP SUCK?! Amateur....

So I tried Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation for normal/oily, RM 55 I think .
Okay, so far I have nothing bad to say about the foundation. It provide me the needed coverage, match very very well with my skin tone and look natural (not cakey...). It is just that the bottle does not come with a pump, so it is harder... L’oreal True Match have pump... Whatever it is, I’m sticking with Revlon and I’m very satisfied...

Usually in Malaysia, I found that drugstore brand only caters the fair skin colour and non for tan skintone... other than L’oreal and Revlon, I could not see any drugstore that caters the darker skintone. So, dark skintone like me really have a hard time finding the right match foundation.
Okay, higher end product (a.k.a. more EXPENSIVE product)... I don't know how good they are... I believe brands like MAC, Bobbi Brown, Stage and probably others can guarantee wider colour range... and better formula and skin-friendly.... but like I said, different people might have different reaction to products, let it be drugstore or the higher end one. I got people says that MAC foundation gives them breakout, and others say they are very good... But, yes makeup can be a quest. Well, there is another brand I notice, which is still affordable, Elianto and The Bodyshop... yeah, that brands also have wider option...

Some people say that Liquid Foundation is heavy and can look cakey... and yes it can.. but it is only because of wrong technique... yes, you have to learn on how to apply it... wrong application can lead to the term ‘makeup setebal 2 inci’... very unattractive... probably I blog about liquid foundation application on next post... anyway, what I’m trying to say is don’t blame the makeup if you are the one who is not good on how to wear it... yeah, it can petty and cerewet... but it is not that hard once you get use to it... okay, too much opinion, next...

2-way cake foundation
(picture: Za 2-way Foundation :http://www.za-ny.com/)
Okay, people have to notice the different between two way cake and regular press powder... it is not the same... unless it says foundation, it is not a foundation... it is just a powder that does not give you much coverage. Unlike regular press powder, 2 way cake foundation usually provide medium to full coverage and regular powder, usually natural to medium coverage. 2 way cake are very recommended for the oily skin since it is powder, it absorbs oil.... and quite unsuitable for dry skin since it can be too drying...
2 way cake foundation can be wear wet or dry. Very economical cause you don’t have to get a press powder. Okay, the downside is that, this product is the most likely to cake up and become too thick,... and crack. Worn with wrong technique especially, which most women does can lead to a very unforgiving look... (believe me, I have seen it, in surau, in the ladies...em,em,... not good)... well I would like share the right technique... but next timelah...
So I bought the L’oreal True Match, RM 65 something I think... quite a disaster... I remember I want to buy it because it saves time and more casual for everyday wear, going to class and all.... but then, there was one I wear it... I came back from class and I notice that there is a big crack on my forehead... it was like wearing claymask and it was drying up... and I feel uncomfortable and burdened somehow when I wear it... so I finish it quickly and return to liquid...

Other type of foundation
Okay, other than liquid and powder, I haven’t tried anything else yet... there are other type too such as mousse and cream... I’m not sure on that one but I can only describe by my experience trying it out at the store... Cream are the heaviest, very recommended for dried skin... usually oily, so quite unsuitable for the oily skin out there. Provide full coverage and very commonly used in studios... This also need a very good technique to wear it good and natural, (notice how sometime on TV stars look very cakey and unfortunately very very unattractive... how the hell did they put on makeup?!)...
Mousse is like mousse, lightweight and cloudy... suitable for all skintypes... but I tried once on swatch, it only provide up to medium coverage... but different brand can give different coverage.... it depends.

PS: Another thing I like to remind when finding a foundation,
First your skin type, dry, normal, or oily...?
Then, your skin tone... a very long quest... it’s not only about you are being dark or fair, you have to check whether it is too pinkish or to reddish for you, or too yellow or orangey for you. That is why swatching is very important, not only on back of your hand but also try it on your jaw line. That is how you find the right tone. Some say to go under natural light.
Then, finally the technique... makeup gurus out there have come up with many, variety way of wearing foundation... you have to know what is best for you and what you are most comfortable with. There more than one way to wear foundation, some prefer using finger some use sponges... but most importantly is use a technique CORRECTLY.... this is what many fail to do... it very unfortunately...
Continue to next post...

4 comments:

  1. but babe, concealer melts when we sweat.tak suke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. probably , put too much... or the product suck...
    that's why ad yg suka foundation je...
    appun, good quality concealer, apply the right way... gerenti ok...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice...I'm looking for a good foundation now...thanks for your post here, very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you... hope you keep on reading...

    ReplyDelete