Friday 28 May 2010

Continued BASE makeup: Mineral Foundation

Mineral Foundation
Terlupa pula nak blog pasal Mineral foundation. Okay mineral foundation is actually very good for the skin, it only contain the natural existing minerals and usually no synthetic chemicals content. One of usual content is the Titanium Dioxide that act as sunscreen, so usually mineral foundation have sun protection and clay. It is very suitable for sensitive skin. Many brands have included mineral foundation such as, Maybelline, L’oreal, The Bodyshop, Revlon, Bloom, Red Earth and mineral makeup brand like Youngblood. But, the problem now is to find a quality mineral foundation. I have read the reviews on mineral foundation, and most said said that drugstore brand mineral foundation are not impressive. Many talk about these drugstore mineral foudation does not have wide range of shade and usually darker people have problem finding one. There is also about the brush that usually came with the product, it said to be scratchy and very small. Okay, so I have visit Watsons and try to look into mineral foundation for Revlon, L’oreal and Maybelline. I think I have to agree with the reviewer. Most shade look ashy on my skintone, eventhough both Revlon and L’oreal liquid foundation has many shade including for tanned skin, but it is not the same for their mineral one. Maybelline, I already tried to swatch it, none match my skin tone. But I believe fairer skin probably don’t have this problem. About the brush, I will just say this on a whole, I don’t believe in brushes that come together with a product, they are usually low in quality and I hate that. Some reviews also comment that some mineral foundation cause breakouts, okay I’m not sure about this. This is why it is hard to trust drugstore product.
I would really suggest wearing mineral foundation if you are not into heavy formula, specially for guys. Like I said before, I really cannot say whether higher end product are better or the drugstore one. You just have to try. Another tip should be remember is to purchase separate brush. Okay, another thing about mineral foundation, they have their distinct way of applying it. It best applied with a large, dense, soft bristle brush (natural hair ), also known as KABUKI brush.
(picture : MAC 182 buffer brush)

MAC and Shue Umuera have many version of this brush (I think so) , unfortunately I have not really found cheap quality dupe of this brush. Dip the brush in the mineral (usually in loose powder) and just buff it on your skin and walaa!

Mineral foundation, I believe does not really give full coverage and it is usually act as a veil only. It is very light actually, but it can build up on its coverage(up to medium I think) and never look cakey. The good one will never irritate your skin. So suitable liquid or powder foundation that suits your skin type could not be found, probably mineral is the answer.


Mineral Foundation to try:
The Bodyshop Nature’s Mineral Foundation, RM 99,

The Bodyshop Nature’s Mineral Foundation Brush, RM 79,


MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural, RM 110 (very recommended- it is not exactly mineral foundation, it is mineral-enriched, but many say good things about this),


(picture : http://www.thebodyshop.com/, http://www.maccosmetics.com/)

PS: Sometimes, I think mineral foundation is overrated. But the truth is that, in Malaysia, we are quite left behind, and here there aren’t many option available as there are in other country. So, I think Mineral foundation is still experimental for Malaysians.

Continued on next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment