Wednesday 11 January 2012

Spring Summer Trip and Conquest of Europe, Kelana Convoy 3: Amsterdam, Volendam

C***! I was too caught up posting about makeup and outfits, I totally forgot to update on my 'Places' post... I still haven't finish last year's summer trip... *I'm hopeless*

so where did we left off?? ohhh first day in Kelana Convoy!
MASSIVE !!
The meeting point was at the Marble Arch...
To show how massive was the crowd I bump into fellow KMBians, heyyyy!!
*Wani Kecik, Cik Nina, Ili, Azeem*
Wow, never expect going to meet them here, since I believe most already return to Malaysia.

so the journey begin and we
cross the English Channel and enter Europe for our conquest.
Before this I was puzzled as how the two bus going to cross, I didn't know there's like a train for the vehicles, I thought we going on a ferry and I remember K Pipot ate some anti-seasick pill, funny! well in her defend the website did say mention about ferry.

To be honest I was freaking tired from all craziness we met back in Cambridge,
so I slept...
like dead asleep and I was too tired, I sleep until I drool...
I was droolingggggg!! and what was worst I got a good looking guy sitting next to me *we sit on the aisle*
What's more embarrassing is that we had a quick stop which I wiped my drool *erghh* and the guy was gone, when he came in he changes his seat... ??? arghhh... ok fine, macam perasan lak dia nak tukar tempat pasal aku... so being optimistic I think he did that because he want to sit next to the window to enjoy the view.
We KMBians was sitting at the back so I get to hang with Wani, Cik Nina, Ili and get to know Azeem friends ... and other tourmates including the good-looking guy who's quiet... *handsome guy is always quiet is it??*

So we cross into Belgium and make a stop at a chocolate factory,
it's nothing fancy, I prefer my secondary school trip to the Beryl's Chocolate Factory back in Malaysia. I didn't buy any chocolate since I was short of money that time... I know, dangerous for a trip.

Then we reach for the Neatherlands,
" most liberal country, homosexual, Red Light District, conventional drugs eg marijuana, shrooms, cake. Bicycle is the main transport so there's a lot of multi-level bicycle park." snippets from the tour guide.

So we set up our camp at this camping park *which I forgot the name*, it is on the outskirt of Amsterdam. Putting up the camping tent was quite...ok... hahaha! It's been a while...
Afterward, we rest, eat and be ready for tomorrow...
Sleeping that night was not so bad actually probably because I'm still quite tired, it was still early summer so it's still quite cold actually. Ok next!

Problem!!
How unfortunate it is on the first day of Europe tour one of the two bus broke it's emergency door so the bus can't leave the place and it happen to be my bus... aduih.. so our trip was delayed ...
The other bus are going to do 2 trips,.... fast forward ,
we arrived to the cheese and clog factory.

Traditional clogs


Definitely try the variety of Godard Cheese but of course the plain and smoked taste the best.After the cheese and clog demonstration it is to next place,
Volendam.

Before we get to the fishing village we get take picture at a traditional windmill house,
but I forgot to take one with my phone...erghh...
For me Volendam is really a nice fishing village,
there's sea breeze, bots and fishhh... nice.
There is this place where you can take pictures in traditional Dutch costume and we went to diamond shop ... if only I was 'rich'.


Then it's lunch time, since we're next to the sea it seem obvious that I want to eat some fish...
But there is a halal kebab store if you don't want fish.
I think it was over here the kebab store...

But I was interested in food stalls along the walkway, all I see is EEL...
while others for some reason want to look for restaurant for 'cheap' food which is obviously impossible, I checked out the stalls...

So I tried the smoked eel roll *bread - eel sandwich* and raw dutch herring... nice!
garnish with pickled and dip into tartar sauce.
I did saw once on TV Dutch eat these stuff and I wasn't tempted,
but I don't know, it taste really fresh! *people who likes sushi should have no problem with this*


What more about Volendam... their souvenirs are generally cheaper although I did have cheaper founds in Amsterdam.
So finally Amsterdam, this is one place that I have most research done, I really have an idea what to visit... the Museumplein or Museum Square.

Arriving at Amsterdam

Amsterdam- busy city with trams and lots lots of bicycle.
The narrow housing because Amsterdam is overpopulated *that's what I heard*

It's a pity that we arrive later than 5.00pm at Amsterdam, it is worst that the bus stop at the Central Station which is very far from Museumplein, so we'll reach there *Museumplein* by the closing time 6.00pm... *sad* We had forgone the canal tours that was offerd.. oh canals structure in Amsterdam is popular as well,
Amsterdam is known as the 'Venice of the North' .
so since we pass that, for me,*thank God, Venice is included in this tour*
I practically had nothing to do in Amsterdam... arghhhhh...

Then I thought about going to the Oude Kerk or 'Old Church'


and just take a peek at
the main Red Light District (RDL), De Wallen there....
note: just in case some do not know, RDL refer to areas with legalized prostitution. So we got prostitutes advertise themselves *in undergraments* in a room with big window and at night, the put on RED LIGHT - hence the RED LIGHT DISTRICT. It is actually not allowed to take picture there.

but .... arggghhhh, that is why you have to choose your TRAVELMATES carefully, mine, they were not so keen on RDL... so I didn't get there... :(
I still remember how they are disturbed with all the nudity in tourist shop and the sight of Sex Museum.... Well, what do you expect??? It's Amsterdam...
another funny story about my dearest travelmates they didn't realize mushrooms in Amsterdam refer to the one that can be drug that make you 'high'...
they enter a shop call "Magic Mushroom" with the hope of eating mushroom as in gourmet mushroom....
aduihhh... that's why we need some knowledge while travelling... and I was thinking how daring are they wanting to try the 'stuff'

*anyway, I was quite pissed since they rather walk randomly that really go to main sightseeing place*
What frustrating is that it was quite close to where we are...
*we were hanging around Dam - which got the Madame Tussaud*
Then it was raining, so I enter this mall, Magna Plaza which closed at 7.00pm and I bought a handbag since my handbag broke, so I got a green slingbag which is my favourite now, it is from Van Dalen 20.00 euro after discount. :) and it's leather, hehe
*you know how I like leather goods*
Then I found this souvenir shop, Typical Dutch which sells T-shirts for 12.50 euro which I found was the cheapest.

Magna Plaza, Amsterdam

Then we walk randomly...
Since I can't get to see Van Gogh's Tournesols (Sunflower) - Bloemenmarkt
*also closed*


K pipot tahan panas sebab takde benda nak buat

So technically,
after you reach 6.00pm,
there's nothing much to do in Amsterdam except PARTYING!!!
yeah, Amsterdam is popular for it's night life other than the art museum.

So Amsterdam got:-
Museumplein 'Museum Square' - Van Gogh Museum 14.00 euro, Rijkmuseum (art craft history), Stedelijk Museum (modern, contemporary art) - for those into arts
Oude Klerk - 'Old Church' - De Wallen - Main RDL - Night tour
Canals of Amsterdam; Singel, Herengracht, Keizergracht, Prinsengracht (popular canal), Gouden Bocht 'Golden Bend' - Canal boat tours 8.50 Euro until 10.00pm
Anne Frank House - Prinsengracht
Dam - Dam Square - Royal Palace, National Monument, Madame Tussauds
Bloemenmarkt (Flower Market) - Singel
Kalverstraat - shopping street

Anyway, the day end in dissapointment actually...
On the way back to camping site I was really praying for the better the next day when we going to Germany. But I glad I enjoyed at Volendam.

Ps: It seem I post a lot of info here, hehe... I'm just passing old travelling notes I had...
hope it helps.

till next time,
farhanaJ

No comments:

Post a Comment